Pages

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Uncanny X-Men #1

Uncanny X-Men #1


Writer:  Kieron Gillen
Penciler:  Carlos Pacheo
Inker:  Cam Smith


The first X-Men story I read was back in the days before the New X-Men were introduce by Len Wein and Dave Cockrum.  Being a big Cockrum fan from his days on Legion of Super-Heroes I followed him to X-Men.  It quickly became a favorite of mine.  Under Claremont and Byrne, Uncanny X-Men was at the top of my reading stack.  Over the years it fell to being a title I would pick up but never got around to reading.  So with the announcement that the books were re-starting with issue number ones, I thought it would be a good time to try the titles again.


I found that the art by Pacheo and Smith was excellent.  Combined with the coloring of Frank D'Armata, the special effects pop off the page.  At times the backgrounds would be non-existent but D'Armata's coloring fills the gap.  They are definitely a team that needs to be on a flagship book.  I hope this team will stay together and not have to have fill-ins.


Gillen has been receiving critical acclaim for his work on "Journey into Mystery".  This is my first time to read one of his stories.  He has the unenviable task of balancing introducing new readers and updating existing readers to the cast of this title.  The story was a little weak and unmemorable until the battle scene.  What happens to Emma Frost in the battle will be interesting to follow up.


While not a favorite, it did enough to keep me interested for a few more issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment