Pages

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Hulk # 30

Writer:  Jeff Parker

Penciler:  Ed McGuinness


Inker:  Dexter Vines

Cover Date:  April 2011 

I am a big fan of the Jeff Parker and Gabe Hardman Hulk.  

This issue features the return of Ed McGuinness as the fill-in artist on the title that he launched with Jeff Loeb.  Ed still knocks it out of the park when it comes to action scenes filled with superhuman characters.  Unfortunately he struggles in this issue with drawing the normal people.  Knowing his strengths, Jeff Parker wrote a story that is mostly super powered high octane action.  


I understand why Parker wanted to do a chance of pace issue after the dramatic "Scorched Earth" storyline.  I read this book for the dramatic stories not for a light humor based tale like the one in this issue.  It is an okay story but it is not what I was looking for.  It was fun seeing all of the old Hulk villains (and Woodgod even makes an appearance) but I would recommend skipping this one and waiting for issue 31.  If you are looking for a humorous story, pick this one up.

The backup story has excellent art by Tim Seeley. The A-Bomb story was average but I would like to see more of Seeley's art in the future.  Some of his work reminds me of the art of John Byrne.  This is similar to what Paul Pellettier is doing on Incredible Hulks.

3 out of 5 stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment